Fidesain.com | Definition of DESIGN, Objectives, Principles, and Types of Design – Hi, fidesain.com friend. We will share a little related information about the meaning of design, design functions, design objectives, design principles and types of design. For more details , please read the following article
Definition of Design
What is design? In general, the definition of design is a planning or design that is carried out before the creation of an object, system, component, or structure.
Another opinion says the meaning of design is the process of planning or designing an object that aims to make the object created have a function, have beauty value, and are useful for humans.
Etymologically, the term design comes from the English language, namely “design” which means design, plan, or design. In the design process will take into account various aspects, such as; aesthetics, function, and various other aspects obtained from human research and thinking.
Understanding Design According to Experts
In order to better understand what design is, then we can refer to the following opinions of some experts:
- J. B. Reswick
According to J. B. Reswick, the notion of design is a creative activity in which is contained the creation of something new and useful that did not exist before.
- Bruce Nussbaum
According to Bruce Nussbaum, the definition of design is a vehicle for carrying out innovations in various industrial and business activities.
- Oxford Dictionaries
According to the Oxford Dictionaries, a design is a plan or drawing created to show the appearance and function or workings of a building, clothing, or other object before it is created.
Design is applied art, architecture, and various other creative achievements that involve the arrangement of lines, shapes, sizes, colors, and values of an object based on certain principles. Some of the design functions are as follows:
- As an auxiliary tool in the process of creating a new object.
- As a means for the designer to convey his idea or copyrighted work to the audience.
- As a container to expose the appearance of certain objects to society with an actual picture or situation.
- As a means to improve human science so as to better understand the shape of the image of fields, spaces, arrangements, configurations, compositions, values, and so on.
As explained earlier, the main purpose of a design is to help humans design an object to benefit humans. Some of the design goals are as follows:
- To create an object, system, component, or structure that is beneficial to humans.
- To create something that can improve the efficiency, productivity and quality of human life.
- Design combined with elements of art and technology aims to create safety, comfort, and beauty.
- So that man knows what are the abilities and limitations in himself and the things around him.
In the design process, there are several basic principles that must be considered by the designer. The principles of design are as follows:
The definition of design methods is the ways that a designer does in creating an object. Some of the design methods that are often used are as follows:
- Explosing, which is a design method by looking for inspiration through critical thinking to produce a design that has never been created.
- Redefining, which is a design method by reworking a design to make it something different and better.
- Managing, that is, a design method by creating designs sustainably and continuously.
- Phototyping, which is a design method by repairing and or modifying the design of the heritage of the ancestors.
- Trendspotting, which is a design method by creating a design based on a growing trend.
Types of Design
Broadly speaking, designs can be distinguished into two types. Referring to the definition of design above, the following are the types of designs:
Structural design is a design that describes the form of an object or objects consisting of several design elements. Some of the design elements include;
- Arrangement of the lines
- Value (its light dark value)
Ornate design is a design specifically designed to give decoration to the structural design of an object. The purpose of the decoration design is to add beauty and quality to the design of the structure of the object.
That’s a brief explanation of the meaning of design, functions, objectives, principles, and types of design in general. Hopefully, this article will be useful and add to your insights.